Frequently asked questions

Do I need a referral?
You do not need a referral to attend counselling.   However if you wish to claim Medicare rebates you will need a Mental Health Plan and referral from your GP or psychiatrist.

Do I need to bring anything to my first appointment?
If you have a referral from your GP or Psychiatrist please bring your Mental Health Plan or referral and your medicare card details.  On arrival at your first appointment you will be asked to read and complete some paperwork regarding privacy and confidentiality, a consent form to contact your referrer and a copy of our cancellation policy.

Can I continue counselling after completing my 20 Medicare sessions?
Yes you can continue attending counselling however you can only claim a medicare rebate for up to 20 sessions a calendar year.

Can I bring someone with me to my first appointment?
You are welcome to bring someone with you to your appointment however clients often find that they feel more free to talk about their situation when they attend counselling on their own. 

What is a Mental Health Social Worker?

Mental Health Social Workers, also called Clinical Social Workers, have completed a four year degree in social work at university level.  They have then continued their training in mental health and counselling by completing another two years of supervised practice in mental health.  Many Clinical Social Workers have also completed a Masters in Counselling.  Clinical Social Workers are required to be accredited by the Australian Association of Social Workers and maintain their registration through ongoing training and professional development. Read more


Should I see a Mental Health Social Worker, Psychologist or Counsellor?

When making a decision about who to seek counselling and support from it is important that you find someone who

  • you feel comfortable with and who has experience in working with the particular issues and challenges you are facing; 

  • is a fully qualified professional who has received training at a University level.  This may include a Bachelor and/or a Masters degree in counselling; and 

  • is accredited by a recognised professional body in Australia such as the Australian Association of Social Workers, Psychology Board of Australia or the Australian Counselling Association